What is a Sump Pump and What Happens if it Stops Working?
Hundreds of Michigan residence are finding out just how important it is to have a battery back up for your sump pump in the case of a power outage. After the severe weather we experienced this weekend many basements have been left with standing water.
A sump pump eliminates moisture and prevents flooding by collecting excess water from drains and pumping it out and away from the building. You will find a sump pump sitting in a specially constructed pit that sits lower than the basement floor in homes that are susceptible to major rain and snow fall.
If your pump stops working, water could get into your basement and foundation walls. This may cause mold and mildew to grow and if enough water builds up, the basement can flood.
How do you know your sump pump is working?
You can check your sump pump tow different ways. Two separate plugs are attached to the unit. Unplug them both and then plug in only the one for the pump. If the pump does not immediately turn on then something is wrong. Your other option is to add water and wait to see if the pump turns on and properly evacuates the water.
Roof Damage and Repair
Roof damage is always a major concern when big rain or snow storms come through. Usually the signs are very evident. Water spots on the ceiling,curled shingles, wet walls or winter ice damage are are all very easy ways to determine if your roof is in need of a little TLC.
Missing shingles are always a sure tell sign but you should also pay close attention to any possible damage done to the remaining shingles.
Missing flashing at the edges of the roof, vents and chimneys should also be attended too in order to prevent unwanted water from entering your home during the next storm.
pealing sealant can also cause problems so be sure to look for that as well.
SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County is on call 24/7. We can restore or replace any issues with your roof.
Do not hesitate to give us a call today....
Family Escape Plan
Do you have an escape plan if a fire happens at your home?
Consider these tips to create a plan:
- Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes. Households with children should consider drawing a floor plan, showing 2 exits of each room (door and window)
- A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire. Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home
- Everyone in the household must understand the escape plan. When you walk through your plan, check to make sure the escape routes are clear and doors and windows can be opened easily.
- Choose an outside meeting place (i.e. neighbor's house, a light post, mailbox, or stop sign) a safe distance in front of your home where everyone can meet after they've escaped. Make sure to mark the location of the meeting place on your escape plan.
- If there are infants, elderly, or family members with mobility limitations, make sure that someone is assigned to assist them in the fire drill and in the event of an emergency. Assign a backup person too, in case the designee is not home during the emergency.
- Once you're out, stay out! Under no circumstances should you ever go back into a burning building. If someone is missing, inform the fire department dispatcher when you call. Firefighters have the skills and equipment to perform rescues.
Having an escape plan set in place- JUST IN CASE- can be life saving and beneficial.
If you have a fire at your home, call SERVPRO of NW Genesee County to take care of the disaster.
What does SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County have to offer?
SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
Our professionally trained technicians are waiting for your call. With the most current and advanced drying equipment we can have your home or business on the way to recovery in a matter of hours. While the dry out process is being executed, we will carefully pack up and store all of your belongings that have not been affected and contain the affected areas so the damage will not spread any further.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 810.732.3298
Christmas Tree Hazards
Every year more and more families are moving away from the fake pre-lit Christmas trees and gravitating back towards the real thing.
Real trees are beautiful, but as with most beautiful things in life, they can be dangerous. Take a look at these guid lines to keep your family and home safe.
-When shopping for that perfect tree, look for vibrant green needles that do not break easily. If a tree is already easily shedding its needles than it is likely not a freshly cut tree and more susceptible to catch fire.
- Make sure that there is always water in the tree base to prevent the tree from drying out and make sure the tree is placed far away from any heat sources like candles or fire places.
-We all get tired at the end of the day and forget to do things but be sure to make unplugging your Christmas tree a part of your nightly routine.
-Lastly, pay attention to what Christmas lights you purchase. Any lights you use outdoors need to be labeled suitable for outdoor use.
Carpet Cleaning Before the Holidays
It is that wonderful yet stressful time of year when all families gather together to celebrate the season and enjoy a really nice meal together. If you are the one hosting said meal, your more than likely working double time to get your house ready. Carpet stains or grungy looking carpet is always an eye sore so let SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County help you out with our professional carpet cleaners.
-Some stains are extremely persistent and cannot be removed without professional attention. We use powerful cleansers and state-of-the-art techniques and equipment to remove even set-in soils and spatter.
-Deep-down dirt and grime can damage carpet fibers and cause rugs and carpet to wear out more quickly than they should. Regular carpet cleaning removes contaminants that cause damage and discoloration and extends the useful life of your carpet.
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County today for a quote.
Giving Thanks this Year
Happy Thanksgiving from SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County!
It is that time of year again and all of us at SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County cannot wait to spend time with our families while eating enough turkey to leave us in a Thanksgiving Day hays.
We want you and your family to enjoy your Thanksgiving Day festivities as well so just a few tips to keep you safe on Turkey Day...
- Don’t leave the kitchen while food is cooking on the stove top and never leave your home while the turkey is cooking in the oven
- Check all smoke detectors before beginning Thanksgiving dinner preparation
- Keep children and pets away from the kitchen and do not leave them unattended in a room with lit candles
- Keep the kitchen floors unobstructed to avoid tripping
- Don’t use any electrical appliances that have damaged or severed cords (use this as an opportunity to treat yourself to some new kitchen toys!)
- Keep all sharp knives out of reach from children
- Avoid using deep fryers (even in the back yard, the NFPA discourages ALL use of fryers)
As always, our crews are on call 24/7 365 days of the year, should disaster strike. Please take note of the steps above to protect your home and your family! Relax, kick back, enjoy some football, and give thanks!
Water Damage Occurs Even When you are Not on the Clock
Water damage events are never scheduled and they typically occur at the most inopportune time. It may be a busted pipe or a leak in the HVAC unit. Whatever the problem may be, a water incident can threaten the safety and welfare of your employees and customers, as well as sales and revenues.
Quick response times are critical when it comes to avoiding:
- Business interruptions
- Revenue Loss
- Costly Repairs
- Undue Stress
SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County has an ultimate goal to get you back to normal business functions quickly with little to no interruption. Our professionals have been trained to work quickly and efficiently to make it as if "it never even happened".
Call us today so we can go to work for you and your company.
SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County
Let SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County go to Work for You
SERVPRO of NW Genesee County technicians are trained to safely and correctly clean and restore your home or business, utilizing the following procedures:
-Identifying the Source/Type of Water
-Measure the Temperature and Humidity for Drying Analysis
-Survey the Extent of Damage
-Perform Emergency Water Extraction
-Move and Block Furniture
-Inspect Carpet pad/Carpet
-Apply Necessary Treatments (Disinfectants/Deodorization)
-Utilize Drying Equipment and Monitor Dryingto ensure
-Disposal of Debris
Abiding by OSHA guidelines and all applicable health regulations, SERVPRO technicians remove moisture, sewage, and contaminants, disinfecting and deodorizing as they safely clean your customers home and restorable belongings.
SERVPRO of NW Genesee County is there for you when a disaster strikes, 24/7 365 days a year- even on holidays!
We make it "Like it never even happened."
How to Reduce Your Heating Bill With Winter
Keep Your Furnace System Clean
SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County is not just a restoration company. We specialize in cleaning as well. If your furnace gets dirty it has to work extra hard, using extra power and possibly still performing less than a clean unit would. Our specialists can come out and properly clean your duct system and evaluate the dirt buildup on your blower blades. Excessive build up on your blades can severely decrease efficiency.
Check your Homes Insulation
Insulation in the walls of your attic actually play a big part in keeping your home warm. Allot of cool air can be trapped up there, causing the furnace to work double time to heat your house. Make sure that the vents in your attic are clear so air can easily flow where it is needed.