What you Need to Know About Tornado and Storm Season
Today officially marks the beginning of Tornado and storm season in Michigan. Make sure your family is prepared!
TORNADO WATCH: is issued to warn people of the possibility of a tornado in your area.
TORNADO WARNING: Is issued when an actual tornado has been spotted.
Important Fact: Tornadoes are not always visible and can be hidden in low hanging clouds and heavy rain.
If you are at home when a tornado hits you should take shelter in the basement. If you do not have a basement you should move to the center part of the house, in the smallest room under heavy furniture.
If you are driving or live in a mobile home you should get out of the car or leave your home and take shelter in the nearest ditch or low area.
If your home or business is affected by a tornado SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
We can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 810-732-3298
Why Sawyer Jewelers Chose SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County
A lot of progress in just a few short weeks
Sawyer Jewelers located in the downtown Fenton area, had a water main break on the third floor of their building on the night of Thursday January 31st. The Fenton Fire Department was first on the scene after receiving a call from the stores security company. Right away they notified the owner of the store, Chip Beltinck who then contacted SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County.
When asked about his experience with SERVPRO, owner Chip Beltinck's response was.........
"SERVPRO showed up on the night of our disaster within minutes of the flood. Everyone was more than accommodating and showed up with more than ample equipment to get everything straightened out. Josh (the owner of SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County) literally followed up every few hours to make sure I was happy with how everything was going. Josh was superb in communication, he answered every call and every question. He has gone out of his way to make extra trips on Sundays and well after business hours. I would use SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County again as long as I could have the same reliable people to work with. Josh and his crew are what make the franchise special. I appreciate the professionalism and the care I was given."
Sawyer Jewelers is happy to announce they will be re-opening their doors this coming Monday, March 4th with a beautiful new look.
WEA Cell Phone Alerts.... Keep Them On!
It has been a crazy and extremely cold winter but soon enough the snow will melt and the rain will come. It is so important that this time of year you have your WEA alerts active on your phone.
This alert system has been used more than 40,000 times to warn about incoming storms and local Amber Alerts.
How it works is the system monitors weather reports all over the country then reviews which cell phone towers will be affected and sends out an alert to any capable smart phone in that area.
With the help of SERVPRO you can always restore or replace your home, business and personal items but you cannot replace a loved one! Keep your alerts active this stormy season and if your home or business is effected give SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County a call day or night.
Steps to Take if Your Business is Affected by Water Damage
Water damage at Sawyer Jewelers in downtown Fenton
It is never a good time to have your business affected by flooding or water damage but it can happen at any time.
So what should you do first?
- First call a plumber. The restoration process cannot begin until the water stops and the problem is fixed.
- Second call your insurance company. Report the incident and get a claim reference number. Your insurance company will assign an insurance adjuster. This person will go onsite, asses everything and determine how much money the insurance company should pay.
- Third and most important, call SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County. A certified professional will come out and evaluate everything that was affected. They will then determine how much work needs to be done, answer any questions or concerns you may have, set up a plan of action and work with your insurance company to make sure you are being covered for everything that was affected.
For a stress free claims process, SERVPRO can help manage the insurance paperwork and process.
SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County
Call us 24/7, 365 days of the year
With the high winds and constant snow fall it is so important to know how to properly own and operate a generator for your home.
- The first and most important thing to remember when using a generator is to keep it out of your home! Generators should never be used in your garage or basement and should be kept 20 feet away from your doors and windows. The exhaust from a generator contains a high amount of carbon monoxide, a poisonous and odorless gas that can kill a person in a matter of minutes.
- Second, keep your generator dry. Operate it on a dry surface that provides coverage and do not touch your generator with wet hands.
- Third, plug appliances directly into the generator or make sure that you are using heavy duty extension cords that have no visible tears or loose wiring.
This article has more information and tips on what carbon monoxide poisoning is and how to prevent it.
What is Causing that Smell in your Home?
Did you know that it doesn't take a disaster to call SERVPRO? We specialize in all areas of cleaning your home, even odor removal.
Musty and Moldy?
if you smell a moldy odor, chances are you probably have mold. You should look for water leaks and damp items to find the source. It may be as simple as needing better ventilation, especially in your basement or bathroom. If the problem is bigger than you can handle, we have you covered with highly trained mold remediation technicians.
Gas leaks or problems with your plumbing are usually the culprit. You should check to see if the smell is coming form your drains when you turn on the water. If so it may be as simple as needing a new P-trap on your floor drain or it could be much more complicated. SERVPRO can send out a technician who can find the source of the problem and correct it.
A gas leak is much more dangerous and you should call 911 right away.
If you have pets, chances are they will leave behind a smell once in a while. Especially if we forget to clean out the liter box. If you do not have pets and you still smell a sickly animal smell, chances are you have a dead animal or insect nest in your plumbing or duct system. Either way SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County can help by identifying the problem and eliminating it.
If you have a smell in your home or business that you just cant shake, give SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County a call today!
Every 18 Seconds a Fire Occurs in the U.S.!
only one matters to you!
What does SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County do for you when your home and family are affected?
1. Within one hour a SERVPRO Franchise Professional will call to arrange for service.
2. Within 4 short hours a professional will arrive on-site prepared to begin emergency mitigation services, if so needed.
3. A Project Manager of SERVPRO will review your home with you and address any questions or concerns.
4. The SERVPRO Project Manager will then go through your home starting from the fire and working his way outward to see what is restorable or salvageable.
5. Next SERVPRO will present to you and your insurance adjuster a plan of action, also known as a "Scope of Work".
6. Your home will be cleaned and restored by SERVPRO Franchise Professionals.
7. After all of the work is completed, a final walk-through will be conducted with you to help ensure your satisfaction
You can trust SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County!
Here are a few of the many reasons why...
24-Hour Emergency Services
Faster to Any Size Disaster- Response time can make the difference between restoration and a complete loss. Our staff is ready and available for your call day or night and during all holidays.
SERVPRO provides clear and detailed estimates so their is no unwanted surprises.
When you call, a trained, uniformed SERVPRO professional will arrive with the proper tools needed to help protect your home or business and answer any questions or concerns you have.
We understand how important your home or business is to you so we will be happy to provide several references to help you feel confident that SERVPRO is right for you.
How to Protect your Home Before a Storm Hits
Once again all of Michigan has a winter storm advisory!
Here are some quick tips to protect your home
keep your pipes warm- insulate pipes in the cold parts of your home and leave cabinets open to allow warm air to reach the pipes
Check your roof- Large amounts of packed snow can cause your roof to collapse so be on the lookout
Carbon-monoxide detectors- Poor ventilation is a huge risk factor in the winter months. Keeping a detector on each floor of your house can help keep your family safe
Generator- A generator can be pricy but will keep you warm in the case of a power outage and save you money by protecting your pipes from freezing
Emergency kits- Incase of a power outage be sure to have flashlights, candles, battery powered radio and extra batteries on hand
As always SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County is here to help with highly trained technicians ready for your call should your home or business be affected this winter.
SERVPRO vs Polar Vortex
SERVPRO workers inside Sawyer Jewelers in Fenton
On Thursday January 31st freezing temperatures and icy winds came through Genesee county with a vengeance, leaving several homes and businesses with broken pipes and water damage. The Corner Stone building in downtown Fenton was one of the many buildings affected. A water main break on the third floor caused water to disperse all the way down to two local businesses, Sawyer Jewelers and Salon 416. Local SERVPRO owner Josh Ingersol was onsite within minutes with a full crew who worked around the clock to dry out the affected areas and prevent further damage. Click here to read the complete article.
SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County is a big part of our community and on call 24/7 for when the unthinkable happens.
We are available day or night at 810-732-3298